dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: gzip encoding

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:24:39 -0400

I'm struggling with this one a bit. If the application is doing the
encoding then we already have facilities with Variant for an
application to select an encoding that the client understands. The
only advantage I see with the annotation is that we could then base
method dispatch decisions on its presence. If the implementation is
performing the encoding then, like Stephan, I don't really see much
use for the annotation other than perhaps as an advisory "it would be
nice if you could encode this" indicator. What am I missing ?

Marc.