dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Feedback from W-JAX presentation

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:07:37 +0100

Heiko Braun wrote:
>> - In general, pretty much everybody liked the overall approach
>> - Some people were concerned about how to integrate this with their
>> existing, EJB 3-based architectures, esp. regarding the SessionBean-
>> based layer they're currently exposing as SOAP web services. I don't
>> believe there's any easy way because of the architectural differences
>

> It shouldn't be too hard. I think Ryan is working on that
> and I am looking at it myself. One of the things that appeared to me,
> is that we need to get rid of the ctor based injection, which the spec
> enforces on root resources.

We need to clarify this, the intent is that per-request life-cycle scope
is the *default* but not the only way. It can be overridden with
per-application (equivalent to the life-cycle scope of stateless session
beans). The RI has experimental support (as Marc referenced in a reply
to Ryan IIRC) for those wishing to experiment with life-cycle and
resource management to see how we could improve things in the JAX-RS API.

We definitely need to clarify the integration with session beans, and in
general for EE integration. I think that is possible without the session
bean life-cycle becoming the default for those that don't want to use it
and vice versa. Potentially WebBeans may be able to help here.

A per-request life-cycle model with constructors makes for a very
natural, simple and dry way to program resources (IIRC a per-request
life-cycle scope is the same for Rails, Django and Restlet). I have used
it many times to good effect in the Jersey examples, no need to worry
about state/threads, no need to repeat myself for common URI/Query
parameters, easy to check for existence of something and throw an 404
exception. IMHO it lowers the barrier of entry for efficiently and
correctly developing RESTful Web applications.

Paul.