users@jersey.java.net

Re: [rest-discuss] hateoas - draft #1

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:26:32 +0200

On Oct 15, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Felipe Gaścho wrote:

>> Instead of application/xml you need to use a media type that allows
>> the
>> client to understand what is really meant by the message. If you use
>> application/xml then all the client can assume is 'process this as
>> xml' and
>> that does not get you very far :-)
>
> humm.. good hint.. any easy-to-understand example out there?
>
> I got your point, and agree, I just need to find out how to
> implement it..

Sometimes you just need to create a new media type and/or new link
relations[1]. If there is 'public relevance' in your use case, your
new type might even become a standard type. IOW, don't be afraid to
ceate a new type if you have to (but think long and hard if you really
have to :-)

Jan

[1] If you can use link relations - they are cheaper than media types.

> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> mailto:rest-discuss-digest_at_yahoogroups.com
> mailto:rest-discuss-fullfeatured_at_yahoogroups.com

> rest-discuss-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Jan Algermissen

Mail: algermissen_at_acm.org
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/