users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Document oriented XML Binding framework needed

From: Brandon Franklin <brandon_at_thoughtriver.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 23:24:29 +0930

The point of JAXB is to allow XML Schema files (.XSD files) to be "bound"
into classes that can, at runtime, be used to represent the structure
described in the Schema files. Additionally, the runtime classes can be
used to produce and read XML that conforms to the Schemas.

My point here is, the real benefit of JAXB (at least as far as I understand
it--JAXB Team, correct me if I'm wrong) is to be able to interpret XML
Schema into data structure. What the XML itself is used for (documents or
otherwise) is not really of interest to JAXB itself.

"Binding" in JAXB is about binding schemas into classes...NOT about
"binding" XML into runtime state. That is done after the binding process,
and is called marshalling/unmarshalling.

-Brandon Franklin
 Thought River South