users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Welcome to the JAX-RS 2.1 EG

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 14:02:39 -0500

Hello Experts,

 Welcome to the JAX-RS 2.1 (JSR 370) expert group!

 This is the official mailing list for the JSR. Note that the old mailing list for JAX-RS 2.0 (JSR 339) is still available for 2.0 matters.

 Before we start any discussions, I would like everyone to take a couple of minutes and read the JSR description one more time to make sure we are all on the same page ;)

===
2.1 Please describe the proposed Specification:

Server-Sent Events (SSE) is a new technology defined as part of the HTML5 set of recommendations for a client (e.g., a browser) to automatically get updates from a server via HTTP. It is commonly employed for one-way streaming data transmissions in which a server updates a client periodically or every time an event takes place.

JAX-RS 2.0 introduced the notion of asynchronous processing for both the client and the server APIs. However, asynchronous processing alone cannot deliver on all the promises of a modern architecture without the help of non-blocking I/O. If only blocking I/O is available, asynchronous processing simply pushes the problem from one thread to the next --this is akin to borrowing from a person to pay another, the problem is not really solved, only deferred. Thus, support for non-blocking I/O is necessary to achieve high throughput and efficiently manage resources like threads.

In summary, the following is a list of the tasks in scope for JAX-RS 2.1:

 * Adding support for SSE.
 * Improving integration with CDI.
 * Exploring support for non-blocking I/O in providers (filters, interceptors, etc.).
 * Evaluating ways in which declarative security can be supported either directly in this JSR or by leveraging other EE-platform JSRs.
 * Making JAXB conditional on runtimes where it is available.
 * Providing integration with JSON-B.
 * Building upon the hypermedia API added in version 2.0.
 * Investigating the reactive programming paradigm as a way to improve the JAX-RS asynchronous client API.
 * Evaluating any requirements necessary to support the use of JAX-RS resource classes as controllers in the MVC 1.0 JSR.
===

 Some useful links:

 [JSR] https://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=370
 [JAX-RS Spec] https://jax-rs-spec.java.net/
 [JIRA for 2.1] https://java.net/jira/browse/JAX_RS_SPEC/fixforversion/16402/
 [RI] https://jersey.java.net/
 [E-mail Archives] https://java.net/projects/jax-rs-spec/lists

 As before, all of our discussions will be conducted using the expert's alias and (automatically) CCed to the user's alias.

 Some of the 2.1 tasks above require coordination with other specifications (JSON-B, Security), so these tasks will tackled later on in the process.

 We have tentatively selected 2 topics to start our discussions, both of which require some investigation, these are: hypermedia improvements and reactive programming. If you have any suggestions/comments/concerns about these two topics, feel free to start a discussion about them. We will be sending some more info as well in the upcoming weeks.

 Looking forward to working with all of you!

--
Santiago Pericas-Geertsen
Marek Potociar