users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Java SE 7 features in JAX-RS 2.0?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 22:07:30 +0200

Hello experts,

Just to start a discussion:
The comments around issue http://java.net/jira/browse/JAX_RS_SPEC-165 brought up an interesting topic of whether or not should we consider adopting Java SE 7 APIs in the JAX-RS 2.0.

As indicated in the issue, we could base our Locale - String conversion support on a standard JDK API methods. Also there are other places where the Java SE 7 features and API could be used to the benefit of our users - e.g. we could change some of our classes and interfaces to implement AutoCloseable so that the components can be used in a "try with resources" code blocks. There may be also other places where Java SE 7 constructs could be adopted.

For those of you who are more conservative, before you completely dismiss the idea, let me remind you that by the time we release JAX-RS 2.0, the Java SE 8 will be most likely out and as such Java SE 6 will become EOLed (which means no further public SE 6 update releases anymore).

In any case, just a thought... please share yours.

Marek