users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: UriBuilder, forward slashes, path and segments

From: Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen_at_nordsc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 22:07:33 +0200

All,

caveat: I have not had the time to reread the whole thread, so I might be missing the point.

Having said that:

On Jun 3, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Markus KARG wrote:

> And NO, IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE for anybody that a slash has to be encoded
> manually. MANUAL ENCODING IS A 100% NO-GO FOR THIS SPEC

I am completely with Markus on this issue. build() should treat data as opaque and take care not to accidentally alter the hierarchical structure of the URI (which can be significant (e.g. http, ftp)) or insignificant (e.g. cid, mailto) in any given URI scheme.

Not pct encoding in build() would be a serious API design flaw, IMHO (aka "reaching behind the user's back"). Driving everyone crazy for ages to come who is a believer in programming along the lines of standards.

My 2c

Jan