users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: UriBuilder, forward slashes, path and segments

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:59:31 +0200

Bill,

when you're finished with being pissed-off, swearing and self-portrayal
please let me know, so we can come back to the technical discussion. You
misinterpreted my words and just read what you liked or assumed to read.

I never complained that anybody here is political or not having enough
insight. I solely talked about the fact that *depite* you all being in a
daily discussion *with* users, you *do* have a technical vendor view. A
vendor *cannot* change this (I am a vendor myself, so I do know). This
cannot be changed unless you are not a vendor anymore (and I once switched
sides and was astonished how the world *actually* looks from the other side
of the table). The problem is not missing qualification. The problem is *too
much* technical qualification. JAX-RS Users are much simpler than you all
think. No, I do not talk about those heaving read your book and having
booked your consulting services. I talk about all the others that DID NOT.
*That* I wanted to say. I do not see any insulting here but just telling
social facts about silent masses of not-so-clever JAX-RS users. One cannot
drop his knowledge, and in this case, having knowledge is a key problem:
With too much knowledge, one just cannot see the normal user's actual
problem with the slash. The french king once said "If the people doesn't
have bread, they shall eat cake!" and he did not ever come to the conclusion
that it was ignorant -- he just didn't expect how less (here: knowledge
about URL templating rules) one can have.

About the slash: If you do not want to encode the slash, either use path()
or buildFromEncoded(). Neither of these will encode. But build() *must*
encode, as build() provides CONTENT and CONTENT MUST BE ENCODED ALWAYS. If
you want a slash, the sole reason can be that you DO NOT WANT CONTENT. So do
not use build().

I cannot see what you think is arrogant or ignorant with that.

Regards
Markus