jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Making Request/Response + builders generic?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:20:32 +0200

Hello experts,

we've privately received some suggestions to make Req/Resp + builders generic.

+ The advantage would be the type safety as well as potential to preserve type information so that GenericEntity does
not have to be utilized directly (e.g. HTTP resource methods that produce Response currently would be able to better
declare the actual response entity type, provided the entity types produced share a common ancestor).

- The main disadvantage I can think of is that generic req/response processing would (if correctly typed) require the
extra "<?>" in many scenarios.

Thoughts?

Marek