jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: Back to Hypermedia

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 21:44:52 +0100

Hi
On 13/10/11 18:57, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>
> Now that we are past EDR submission and JavaOne, I thought it would be a
> good opportunity to get back to the topic of Hypermedia.
>
> First, let me summarize what we have so far: (i) we introduced Link and
> LinkBuilder (ii) we extended ResponseBuilder to accept Link and (iii)
> allowed a client Target to be created from a Link (for clients to
> "follow" links). So far, a Link is only mapped to a link header. This
> seems to be the bare minimum.
>
> There was a talk about hypermedia @ JavaOne from Jayway.se
> <http://Jayway.se>. Their presentation and implementation are available
> here [1]. In a nutshell, they introduce a new annotation @Linkable
> (mostly to avoid referring to resource methods) and extend Response and
> ResponseBuilder. They allow links in entities (including collections)
> but the implementation only works with JSON so far and uses field
> injection --any solution that involves entities will introduce
> significant challenges due to the pluggability of MBR's and MBW's.
>
> Is our current support for Hypermedia sufficient or insufficient?

Are we settling on the idea of the server code managing the Links
explicitly ? That makes sense to me.

What about your earlier note about the annotation-driven Link
injection/creation on the server side ? I thought it was interesting but
a bit complex

> If the
> latter, what other areas should we explore?

Will comment more shortly

thanks, Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin