jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Issue priorities

From: Roberto Chinnici <roberto.chinnici_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:53:41 -0700

  I've done a pass through the issues list and here are the proposed new
priorities.

First of all, I should explain the priorities we'll be using.

I'd like to save the highest (blocker) for true showstoppers.

We'll use the next four levels as high-to-low priorities: critical,
major, minor, trivial. (I don't like the words and I think of the four
levels as 1 to 4.)

In terms of classification:
     1) "critical" is stuff we absolutely need to do, or users will flee
JAX-RS in droves for proprietary APIs, plus glaring errors in the 1.1 spec
     2) "major" is important stuff that affects lots of users
     3) "minor" issues either have feasible workarounds or affects a
minority of users
     4) "trivial" is everything else (nice to have, nitpicks, affects
tiny number of users)

In general, I've privileged issues that affect regular users of the API,
i.e. application developers trying to get their job done, over those
that impact framework developers who'd like to build on JAX-RS.

Here are the priorities: (some of the descriptions were truncated so the
table prints better)

== CRITICAL ============================================================

JAX_RS_SPEC-70 UriBuilder must encode slashes in values
JAX_RS_SPEC-57 Interceptors
JAX_RS_SPEC-56 Server-side asynchronous request processing model
JAX_RS_SPEC-55 Support for JSR-330 annotations and CDI
JAX_RS_SPEC-54 Validation support
JAX_RS_SPEC-50 Low-level client API
JAX_RS_SPEC-42 Request variant selection mismatch
JAX_RS_SPEC-32 EJBException handling spec error

== MAJOR ===============================================================

JAX_RS_SPEC-66 URI Building
JAX_RS_SPEC-62 Form beans
JAX_RS_SPEC-61 Improved marshalling for string-based parameters
JAX_RS_SPEC-60 Resource metamodel
JAX_RS_SPEC-58 Make it easier to use EJBs as sub-resources
JAX_RS_SPEC-53 MVC support
JAX_RS_SPEC-52 Hypermedia support
JAX_RS_SPEC-51 High-level client API
JAX_RS_SPEC-49 How to use Maven2
JAX_RS_SPEC-47 Finer-grain reader/writer matching
JAX_RS_SPEC-46 UriBuilder.fromMethod(Class, String)
JAX_RS_SPEC-45 Variant requires you to call add prior to call build
JAX_RS_SPEC-38 Hyperlinking Support Issues
JAX_RS_SPEC-35 provide a way to allow dependency injection into sub
resources t
JAX_RS_SPEC-34 it would be nice if @PathParam @FormParam @QueryParam
could inje
JAX_RS_SPEC-31 Resolving resource method ambiguity with resource inheritance
JAX_RS_SPEC-30 Error matching HTTP methods for sub-resource methods
JAX_RS_SPEC-28 charset missing from content-type
JAX_RS_SPEC-23 sub resource methods to match empty path
JAX_RS_SPEC-22 Clarify JavaDoc of getAcceptableLanguages() and
getAcceptableMed
JAX_RS_SPEC-19 Annotation Inheritance not specified for interfaces
JAX_RS_SPEC-15 Response/ResponseBuilder should be Generic
JAX_RS_SPEC-10 EntityHolder
JAX_RS_SPEC-7 Dealing with {} in UriBuilder
JAX_RS_SPEC-5 Improve handling of trailing slash
JAX_RS_SPEC-1 Support quality of source for produced media types

== MINOR ===============================================================

JAX_RS_SPEC-68 Router interface
JAX_RS_SPEC-67 Allow custom resource creation
JAX_RS_SPEC-65 Support breaking the view layer from the control layer
JAX_RS_SPEC-64 Support non-default parameter access convention using
Java's deb
JAX_RS_SPEC-63 Custom resource lookup
JAX_RS_SPEC-59 Convention over configuration
JAX_RS_SPEC-48 Exception hierarchy
JAX_RS_SPEC-44 JavaDocs should mention behaviour on RuntimeException
thrown in
JAX_RS_SPEC-43 Provide method to access X509 client certificates
JAX_RS_SPEC-37 Authentication inside of Java EE Application Client Container
JAX_RS_SPEC-33 Request Matching using Query Param
JAX_RS_SPEC-29 Extends @MatrixParam with ("subpath;param")
JAX_RS_SPEC-27 Specify mapping of AccessLocalException for EJBs with
@RolesAllo
JAX_RS_SPEC-26 WebApplicationException should have an (Entity, status)
construc
JAX_RS_SPEC-24 Need way to generate similar resource URL's from given URL
JAX_RS_SPEC-21 Mixing of OPTIONs
JAX_RS_SPEC-18 @HttpMethod should guess value if omitted
JAX_RS_SPEC-17 Query parameters do not encode data which looks like
percent-enc
JAX_RS_SPEC-16 JAX-RS should support multiple exception mappers
distinguished b
JAX_RS_SPEC-14 Request.evaluatePreconditions() needs clarification
JAX_RS_SPEC-13 Need string init for UriBuilder, fromTemplate()
JAX_RS_SPEC-11 Error in matching request to resource w/ regexes
JAX_RS_SPEC-8 ContentDisposition should be part of JAX-RS

== TRIVIAL =============================================================

JAX_RS_SPEC-36 Support for EXI and FastInfoset
JAX_RS_SPEC-25 RDF Support for JAX-RS
JAX_RS_SPEC-12 Extend Annotation Inheritance to cover more use cases
JAX_RS_SPEC-9 Requesting an injectible 'uber-context'
JAX_RS_SPEC-6 Anonymous subclass instance as a response entity
JAX_RS_SPEC-3 @MatrixParam should not inherit values
JAX_RS_SPEC-2 Case Insensitive Map

(57) JAX_RS_SPEC-69 Allow ordered interceptors
(50) JAX_RS_SPEC-41 JAX-RS 2.0 Client API must be able to process
custom HTTP method
(50) JAX_RS_SPEC-40 JAX-RS Client API should support process Allows header
(50) JAX_RS_SPEC-39 Client Cache Support
(57) JAX_RS_SPEC-20 ResourceFilter
(1) JAX_RS_SPEC-4 provide a mechanism to be able to raise the
priority of a repres