[jsr372-experts] [ADMIN] Re: Expert Group Meeting _at_ JavaOne

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:59:17 -0700

JJ> I listened to the audio from the expert group meeting at
JJ> JavaOne. [...] I was happy to hear that there are others (Neil in
JJ> particular) that also would like to see at least one big ticket item
JJ> for JSF 2.3.

JJ> I feel that it is important to have at least one feature that will catch
JJ> the attention of the community [...]

JJ> Maybe the big feature could be the "decorate response" phase that was
JJ> mentioned in the meeting, or even "increased support for HTTP 2.0",
JJ> covering the dispatch priority concerns. Perhaps better integration with
JJ> single-page frameworks, as addressed in Ian's presentation?

Hello Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the audio. Were you at the BOF
Monday night? If not, you may want to take a look at my slides for our
JSF 2.3 BOF, which I have linked from a blog entry [1]. Ian Hlavats's
informative slides are linked from there. Your email gives me a good
opportunity to recap the administrative content from the BOF here on the
list.

The most important goal for the BOF was to state that there are two
feature engines for JSF 2.3, each with different agendas and
capabilities (some of which overlap).

* Oracle Driven Features

  These features will be characterized by having stability, performance,
  and platform integration as their goal. Examples of this category of
  feature include

  1316-_at_InjectOnJSFArtifacts

  1321-LeverageHTTP2ServerPush

  1-MultiComponentValidation (with Bean Validation)

* Community Driven Features

  Kito's "JSON Rendering" feature

  Ian's "Twitter Bootstrap support" feature

  Ian's "RenderKits that target AngularJS directives"

Josh, you're right about the need to draw people in with new features.
While it's hard to argue that any of the individual features in the
"Oracle Driven" category are compelling, taken together, they
do have a very big impact in increasing the appeal of JSF for
developers. We've been getting comments about the need to take time to
tighten up the loose ends for many releases now. It's time to sit down
and take action on those comments.

I would like Arjan to lead a discussion here to find the single highest
impact/least effort new feature in the "Community Driven"
category. Let's take these one at a time. For my money, I think Kito's
"JSON Rendering" one is a great one to start with.

Even if we have no success with the Community Driven Features, we still
have 1321-LeverageHTTP2ServerPush as a fallback.

Ed