[jsr372-experts] Expert Group Meeting _at_ JavaOne

From: Josh Juneau <juneau001_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:00:05 -0500

I listened to the audio from the expert group meeting at JavaOne. I
apologize again that I could not make it due to one of my talks being
scheduled at the same time. That said, it seemed as though the meeting
went very well, and I was happy to hear that there are others (Neil in
particular) that also would like to see at least one big ticket item for
JSF 2.3.

I feel that it is important to have at least one feature that will catch
the attention of the community...mainly because such features help to
maintain the visibility of technologies. If there are no big ticket items
in 2.3, then it may be overlooked by some, making it look like JSF is
becoming a waning technology...falling to the single-page frameworks, or
being pushed aside for the MVC initiative. We all know that JSF is still
widely used and excellent at what it does, but I think JSF needs to remain
highly visible with the 2.3 release as the leading server-side web
framework for Java EE, especially given that there are a couple of years
between each release.

Maybe the big feature could be the "decorate response" phase that was
mentioned in the meeting, or even "increased support for HTTP 2.0",
covering the dispatch priority concerns. Perhaps better integration with
single-page frameworks, as addressed in Ian's presentation?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Josh Juneau
juneau001_at_gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com