[jsr372-experts] Re: Expert Group Meeting _at_ JavaOne

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:53:43 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Josh Juneau <juneau001_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I listened to the audio from the expert group meeting at JavaOne.

For the record, I just started to work on a transcription of the
recording. It's a bit more difficult and time consuming than I
anticipated, but I hope to finish it soon and will post it here then.

> I feel that it is important to have at least one feature that will catch the
> attention of the community...mainly because such features help to maintain
> the visibility of technologies. If there are no big ticket items in 2.3,
> then it may be overlooked by some, making it look like JSF is becoming a
> waning technology...falling to the single-page frameworks, or being pushed
> aside for the MVC initiative.

Indeed, I agree. I already saw some comments along those lines at
several places and even got a few mails from users concerned about
just that.

> Maybe the big feature could be the "decorate response" phase that was
> mentioned in the meeting, or even "increased support for HTTP 2.0", covering
> the dispatch priority concerns. Perhaps better integration with single-page
> frameworks, as addressed in Ian's presentation?

Those are all interesting ideas for sure. Some other things that I was
thinking about was having more powerful rest-like URLs, which means at
least extensionless URLs, maybe multiviews (see
https://github.com/omnifaces/omnifaces/issues/20) and perhaps some
more advanced things as offered by PrettyFaces today.

Another big ticket-ish feature may be to look at improvements of the
Facelet templating? Perhaps do a cross check with some of the other
templating languages out there to see if Facelets is behind or not?

A while back I jotted down some ideas about improving JSF with respect
to component authoring:
http://arjan-tijms.omnifaces.org/2014/07/jsf-23-wish-list-part-i-components.html
Maybe all those things together would feel like a big ticket issue as
well.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms