users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: meet-up at JavaOne

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 23:43:20 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Yoon Kyung Koo
<kyungkoo_yoon_at_tmax.co.kr>wrote:

> 1. CDI and EJB
> In the long term, the whole EJB features can be replaced by CDI.
> Currently, only the distributed (or remote) object model cannot be
> replaced by CDI.
> I think if Clustered or Distributed CDI bean is possible and can be
> standardized, then the old EJB model can be removed.

In this light it's maybe interesting to note that the spec lead Bill
Shannon has suggested moving away from the binary remote object model, and
exclusively using REST (JAX-RS) and SOAP (JAX-WS) instead. See
https://java.net/jira/browse/JAVAEE_SPEC-16

As I mentioned in that JIRA issue, I'd personally rather see a native high
performance and convenient/transparent distributed object model for Java to
Java solutions, and then have JAX-RS as an option for interoperability
between Java and non-Java solutions, or between less tightly coupled Java
solutions.

Upgrading the remoting support of EJB is not worth it at this point
anymore, but I agree with Yoon that moving the component model to CDI
offers new opportunities to standardize a modern (native) interoperability
facility.

> 4. lambda support
> I didn't think much about the lambda support of Java EE 8 platform, but it
> would be a great challenge.

It would be a challenge indeed, but there are several opportunities
throughout the platform.

In JSF for example it would be ideal for several of the tree visiting APIs
or for running a (small) amount of code within its own scope. In OmniFaces
for example we have a utility method that would be perfectly suited for
lambdas that does exactly that (see
https://code.google.com/p/omnifaces/source/browse/src/org/omnifaces/el/ScopedRunner.java#60
).

For event handling they would be great as well. In OmniFaces again we're
already using a lambda like construct for that, see e.g.
https://code.google.com/p/omnifaces/source/browse/src/org/omnifaces/util/Events.java#95

We're using this as follows now:

Events.addBeforePhaseListener(PROCESS_VALIDATIONS, new Callback.Void() {

@Override
public void invoke() {
if (Components.hasInvokedSubmit(parent)) {
Faces.setContextAttribute(IgnoreValidationFailed.class.getName(), true);
}
}
});

(see
https://code.google.com/p/omnifaces/source/browse/src/org/omnifaces/taghandler/IgnoreValidationFailed.java#92
)

Such code will look much better when using lambdas. I think I would be
great to have such API taking lambdas readily available in Java EE.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms