users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: Re: Datasources and other resources defined on CDI beans

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:45:55 -0800

We've discussed this with Pete. There's currently a problem because the
processing of platform-defined annotations occurs at a different level
than the processing of CDI-defined annotations. Thus, at the time the
@DataSourceDefinition annotation is being processed, there's no knowledge
of CDI and in particular of CDI alternatives.

The fix isn't obvious. Do we delegate processing of all platform annotations
to CDI? Do we embed greater knowledge of CDI in the processing of platform
annotations? Either way, it implies a much tighter coupling of CDI with the
rest of the platform. Can CDI remain a "pluggable" technology and still be
that tightly integrated?