[jsr375-experts] Re: 1-TerminologyAuthInteractionVsStore ACTION: cast vote

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:23:52 +0200

Hi again,

Now that we seem to have largely agreed on the working term "identity
store", it's time to consider the next term mentioned in
JAVAEE_SECURITY_SPEC-1, which is the term for the "the (user)
interaction method via which credentials are obtained (form, basic,
etc)".

I didn't research this intensively, but after a quick look I
discovered the following terms:

* auth-method (Servlet, web.xml)
* authentication mechanism (Undertow)
* authenticator (Tomcat)
* (server) auth module/SAM (JASPIC)

Concrete code examples to make it hopefully extra clear what's meant here:

Undertow: http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/io.undertow/undertow-core/1.2.0.Beta8/io/undertow/security/impl/FormAuthenticationMechanism.java#FormAuthenticationMechanism

Tomcat: http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.tomcat/tomcat-catalina/8.0.20/org/apache/catalina/authenticator/FormAuthenticator.java#FormAuthenticator

Both implement the well known Servlet FORM.

In the case of Undertow we see:

FormAuthenticationMechanism#authenticate
 - Extract username/password from request
 - Call out to "identity store": Account account =
identityManager.verify(userName, credential);
 - Establish authenticated identity:
securityContext.authenticationComplete(account, name, true);

In the case of Tomcat we see:

FormAuthenticator#authenticate
 - Extract username/password from request
 - Call out to "identity store": principal =
realm.authenticate(username, password);
 - AuthenticatorBase#register(request, response, principal, ...);

Do note the extra level of confusion regarding the term
"authenticator". In Tomcat this is the interaction mechanism, while in
Resin this is exactly the opposite thing, namely the "identity store"
(which is called Realm in Tomcat).

I'll start with voting for "authentication mechanism":

Arjan Tijms - authentication mechanism

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms