[jsr375-experts] Re: 1-TerminologyAuthInteractionVsStore ACTION: cast vote

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:44:53 +0200

p.s.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Both implement the well known Servlet FORM.
>
> In the case of Undertow we see:
>
> FormAuthenticationMechanism#authenticate
> - Extract username/password from request
> - Call out to "identity store": Account account =
> identityManager.verify(userName, credential);
> - Establish authenticated identity:
> securityContext.authenticationComplete(account, name, true);
>
> In the case of Tomcat we see:
>
> FormAuthenticator#authenticate
> - Extract username/password from request
> - Call out to "identity store": principal =
> realm.authenticate(username, password);
> - AuthenticatorBase#register(request, response, principal, ...);

I also checked what Resin does.

See https://github.com/mdaniel/svn-caucho-com-resin/blob/master/modules/resin/src/com/caucho/security/FormLogin.java

In the case of Resin we see:
FormLogin#login
  - Extract username/password from request
  - Call out to "identity store": user = auth.authenticate(basicUser,
credentials, request);
  - Establish authenticated identity: request.setAttribute(LOGIN_USER,
savedUser);

Looking at Resin I discovered some new terms, which are now:

* auth-method
* authentication method (Resin term 1)
* authentication mechanism (Undertow)
* authenticator (Tomcat)
* login manager (Resin term 2)
* login (Resin term 3)

I'll keep my vote at "authentication mechanism":

Arjan Tijms - authentication mechanism

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms