[jsr375-experts] Re: 1-TerminologyAuthInteractionVsStore ACTION: cast vote

From: Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:00:11 +0100

Just to provide a little more background on the name within Undertow,
within JBoss AS7 and WildFly we also heavily use SASL for non-HTTP based
authentication, within SASL this 'thing' is essentially referred to as a
'mechanism': -

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/security/sasl/SaslServerFactory.html

So when the API was visited within Undertow the name Authentication
Mechanism was selected.

Within the servlet spec I think it lost it's way slightly, as you point
out within the web.xml it is an auth-method, however on the
HttpServletRequest interface getMethod relates to the method of the
request e.g. GET, POST - the approach used for authentication then comes
from a getAuthType method.

At the moment my vote would be to stick with 'Authentication Mechanism'
but obviously this is more about the logic I already used once so open
to other input ;-)

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.