users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Too many open files issue

From: Steven Siebert <smsiebe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:11:41 -0400

We also had this problem, RHEL 6 x64.

We fixed it by telling linux to increase the maximum number of files
allowed to be open by 1) the system and 2) the glassfish user. Our server
has been cranking away for 2 days now without that nasty exception and
resulting 404 to our users, which was previously being thrown at a rate of
several per minute.

We found these links to be useful:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-files/
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lsof.html