users@glassfish.java.net

ws-security performance

From: <notoadw_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:09:18 +0000 (GMT)

I have secured a Metro Service using an STS Issued token. By default
the web service Signs each part of the Soap Envelope and additionally
Encrypts the Body. Our response has a pretty big payload (10 MB
byte[]). Our key is 1024bits. We are noticing that it will take 5+
seconds to process the message between the service and client. The
same message with no security transfers in <1second.

We are using Glassfish 3.1.1 (Open Source). Also, we have tweaked the
default JVM settings (increased default and max Heap Size and set to
server mode). I am wondering what else we can do to help speed up some
of the cryptography processing of the message itself. Because we are
using the Open Source version, I guess we don't have access to the
Performance Tuner.

I know that WS-Security will be slower, but 5 seconds + to process the
message doesn't "feel" right. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.