users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Multiinstance Appliciation architecture and deployment in Gl

From: Tom Mueller <tom.mueller_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:27:24 -0600

On 2/9/2012 2:30 AM, forums_at_java.net wrote:
> Tom,
>
> This solution also doesn't help a lot in my case. Enabling resources
> (jdbc
> and jms) per instance or per application is only a little part of
> configuration I need for each customer. For example, deploying my
> application
> on multiple instances on one server domain is in fact only one
> application
> run on separate jvm's and on other virtual hosts (called 'virtual
> servers' in
> GlassFish).
I had thought in a previous message that you didn't want to use multiple
instances,
so it isn't clear what you are saying here.
> I need my solution to be more 'independent-servers' alike.
>
> My solution should be able to process all customers at the same time. All
> 'customer specific and independent from one another' applications
> (circa 100)
> should be deployed and running.
> Any other ideas? Is it possible to achieve what I'am trying to achieve
> on one
> GlassFish server?
It isn't clear from this forum thread what your requirements actually
are. There
are many different definitions of "independent", and many possibilities for
different levels of sharing between applications. Typically, with more
sharing you
get more efficient use of resources, but less independence. The
engineering choice
is about what level of sharing vs. independence is appropriate for your
use case.

You mention above that resources are "only a little part of
configuration", but your
original message didn't mention anything else. Do you have a complete
list of
what needs to be per-customer? It isn't possible to say whether
GlassFish can meet
your needs if you don't specify what those needs are.

Tom