users@glassfish.java.net

Re: MBeans at undeployment time

From: Andreas Loew <Andreas.Loew_at_oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 20:47:31 +0100

Hi jrox,

Am 03.12.2011 20:38, schrieb forums_at_java.net:
> I have an MBean which is part of a war file. The application in that war
> file creates threads at startup. I now want to make sure that all
> threads get
> closed again when the application gets stopped/undeployed/redeployed.
> I am
> looking for the best way to do this and I found a few ideas but I am
> not sure
> if they work and which one would be best practice.
>
> 1. The MBean could be registered as a listener to JMX notifications,
> which
> can easily be done with Spring. But does the glassfish container send out
> notifications when undeploying an application (e.g. does glassfish
> unregister
> mbeans and therefore send out an MBeanServerNotification?). Who sends out
> that message, it it my own mbean? Can my mbean listen to an unregistering
> event of itself? .... lots of questions maybe someone can help me out
> here.
>
> 2. LifeCycle Module: can my LifeCycle module be in the same
> application war
> to which I want to listen to and intercept the undeployment command? How
> would I do that?
>
> 3. Any other easy options?
as you are saying that you are using a WAR file, you have a much easier
option than a LifeCycle module (which would be recommended the way to go
in case of an EAR).

You can define a startup servlet (via load-on-startup in web.xml) and
use its methods init() to register and destroy() to deregister your
application-related MBeans.

Also, the important advantage here is that the current Thread context
classloader in already is your WAR's web app classloader, which makes
things much easier as you don't need to fiddle with switching the
classloader back and forth to the appropriate classloader (as you would
have to if you were to do the same from a Lifecycle module)...

HTH & best regards,

Andreas

--
Andreas Loew | Senior Java Architect