users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish and importing certificates

From: Radim Kolar <hsn_at_sendmail.cz>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 04:09:48 +0100

> Obviously Oracle is going to use Eclipselink/Oracle Toplink for
> Glassfish and Weblogic as they have investments in those projects.
Oracle donated toplink to Eclipse because nobody wanted it. Because
Hibernate is owned by jboss and openjpa/geronimo is owned by IBM then
Oracle also wanted own JPA.

> It took OpenJPA 5+ months to release a JPA-2 (JSR 317) complaint version.
> It took Hibernate ~5 months to release its JPA2 compliant version as
> well.
It does not matter. J2EE is very slow moving market. How many years
after releasing J2EE 6 specs people accepted J2EE 6 as standard for new
applications? And remember complains about ending free Java5 support.
Today Java7 is out and Java 1.4 is still used in production.
> Weblogic bundles both Eclipselink/Oracle Toplink and OpenJPA/Kodo with
> Weblogic 10.3.5 and as of 10.3.5 they have officially /deprecated
> / OpenJPA/Kodo usage in Weblogic.
They probably didnt imported openjpa2 into weblogic.

> Looking at the current landscape I don't agree with your statement
> that OpenJPA is the "industry standard". If anything the only thing
> standard is that the default impl. depends on what impl. the AS
> sponsor has invested in.
Yes. "Not invented here" syndrome is industry standard.

> Each impl. has their own strengths and weaknesses. I've seen studies
> that show Eclipselink beating the others in certain tasks and not in
> others. It depends on what you application needs, just pick the the
> impl. that fits your applications needs the best.
I am not going to buy that. If you look at jpa bench suite than both
hibernate and openjpa executed it without errors while it failed in some
tasks for eclipselink. Eclipselink is really faster then openjpa but for
me stability is far more important.

But i dont think that average glassfish user will care about openjpa vs
eclipse link as long as he does not have to pay oracle for weblogic.