users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Websphere vs Glassfish

From: Radim Kolar <hsn_at_sendmail.cz>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 02:09:21 +0100

>>> apr_poll: The timeout specified has expired (70007)
>>> Total of 910 requests completed
>>> slush#
>>> first about 900 requests are completed really quickly, then
>>> glassfish hangs for about 2 minutes. After it recovers, it never
>>> runs again on normal speed. it runs very slowly (about 100 timers
>>> slower).
>>
>> Do you know for sure here that there is something in GlassFish that
>> is contributing to the issue? It could be application code written in
>> a non scalable fashion as we have seen in some customer deployments.
it works on websphere 7 fine and even if it was badly written app then
application server should recover after few minutes of idle time and
there is no reason why it should run slowly after it recovers from test.

>> What would help here is a JIRA issue along with a set of jstack
>> thread dumps before and after the hang starts to happen.

>>> glassfish V2 UR1, 3.1.1
>>
>> And the issues you have shared today are all on both of these
>> releases consistently?
no. we have nuked glassfish v2 after 3 days of testing due to major
memory leak problems. we never had v2 in production, just in test
environment.

> Many of such perm-gen issues on deploys were resolved in 3.1.1 - if
you still see these, you should file issues so we can fix it.
it is noticeable with grails applications. they have 50mb of jars. You
can redeploy them about 2 or 3 times before gf hangs. Apache geronimo
has same problem.

>> Slowness of an app on GF can have so many causes including db level
>> locking, or application thread contention, something in GF, et al so
>> each issue of slowness needs to be analyzed - without any logs,
>> diagnostic data such as jstacks and an issue to track its hard to pin
>> point and fix all issues. So I request you to take one step further
>> and help us by filing such issues as you see them.
i will submit such data, but i dont think that it can be diagnosed
properly from jstacks only.