users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Websphere vs Glassfish

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.moussine-pouchkine_at_oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 06:08:42 -0700

Hello,

The positioning of GlassFish vs. WLS you present is not accurate, both are strategic products and GlassFish is used my an increasing number of customers in production for demanding and critical applications. This FAQ may provide some more details: http://www.oracle.com/us/products/middleware/application-server/oracle-glassfish-server-faq-071872.pdf.

We've had several WebSphere users become (happy) GlassFish users. Sometimes in addition to WAS, sometimes as an alternative.
I think this is due (at least in part) to the management capabilities of GlassFish and in particular its "asadmin" command line and "pkg" management tool.

GlassFish offers multiple installation options, see http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2427/ggrlg.html
One of which is silent install using the installer : http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2427/ghmva.html

Once installed, the aforementioned "pkg" command line (or equivalent "updatetool" GUI) will help you manage packages and in-place updates to GlassFish. See http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2437/gkthu.html. You can also host in-house repositories of GlassFish distributions and package.

GlassFish start/stop, cluster creation, application (un)deployment, resource creation, monitoring, configuration and more can all be done (and scripted) using "asadmin". This appendix should give you a flavor of what can be achieved with this CLI : http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2433/gentextid-110.html#scrolltoc

Oracle's JVM can also be installed silently (see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/index-137561.html).

Finally, Oracle GlassFish Server is the commercial offering from Oracle. In addition to support and access to patches, it also adds GlassFish Server Control: (http://www.oracle.com/us/products/middleware/application-server/glassfish-server-control-ds-072078.pdf) as a set of extra features on top of the open source bits.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback from you once you've started using GlassFish.

cheers,
-Alexis