users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish 3.1 Final - High Availability Web Apps Slow, ...

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <shreedhar.ganapathy_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:43:07 -0700

Hi Stephen
I am assuming that the issue you are reporting is the same one our team
has been working on to try to reproduce - in terms of loss of sessions
but not in terms of slowness.

This forum post seems to point both to slowness and partial loss of
session. So we need to know which one of these is the issue in your case.

The team has been trying to reproduce the scenario of session loss, and
multiple attempts to do so have not yielded the loss of sessions scenario.

What we need from you is exact steps to reproduce including the following :
1. The app used - if its clusterjsp we need the version of the app you
have used so having the war/ear file you used is useful
2. Any specific descriptor settings you have changed - if you have used
defaults let us know - for instance, which of the following session
scopes are you using ? Full session, modified session or modified
attribute ?
3. The command you used to deploy the application - for instance, did
you deploy with availabilityenabled=true and did you do so while
deploying of after deployment ? Did you specify asyncreplication=false?
If you used the admin console, let us know as well.
4. Are you setting relaxVersionSemantics property for an app that uses
Ajax like constructs?
5. When do the session losses occur - every request, occassionally,
deterministically?
6. What is your session size ? Is it very large ? 2k, 10k, 200k, 200
mb.....?
7. How many instances do you have in your cluster ? Are these on
physical nodes or on virtual machines ?
8. What is the user request traffic rate ? IOW, how many concurrent
users do you use in your tests and at what rate are sessions being
changed? Are you failing any instances into your test scenario?
9. Are you using an LB - let us know which one and if you are using
sticky sessions?

Thanks
Shreedhar