users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish 3.1 Final - High Availability Web Apps Slow, ...

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:30:20 -0500 (CDT)

- Both session loss and slowness coincide directly with the TimeoutException

-  The app used is our internal app, we are having trouble to reproducing
this wit cluster.jsp directly

- aside from the ---distributable--- directive, there is no tuning in
web.xml, there is no glassfish-web.xml at all

- application is deployed from the Admin GUI, with no changes in any of the
checkboxes, aside from the 'availability

- availability is set at deployment time, not after

- no relaxVersionSemantics property

- session loss occurs frequently but not always, but always there is shoal
TimeoutException in the logs that corresponds to session loss

- session size is around 50k

- cluster has 2 nodes, both are full (not virtual) machines

- There is no traffic (test server) just sitting trying to use the app with
one browser

- The issue happens whether you use a load balancer or not, even when hitting
the server directly,

although it's much easier to reproduce with a sticky-session load balancer
(apache/mod-proxy-ajp)

Thank you!

[quote=shreedhar_ganapathy]Hi Stephen I am assuming that the issue you are
reporting is the same one our team has been working on to try to reproduce -
in terms of loss of sessions but not in terms of slowness. This forum post
seems to point both to slowness and partial loss of session. So we need to
know which one of these is the issue in your case. The team has been trying
to reproduce the scenario of session loss, and multiple attempts to do so
have not yielded the loss of sessions scenario. What we need from you is
exact steps to reproduce including the following : 1. The app used - if its
clusterjsp we need the version of the app you have used so having the war/ear
file you used is useful 2. Any specific descriptor settings you have changed
- if you have used defaults let us know - for instance, which of the
following session scopes are you using ? Full session, modified session or
modified attribute ? 3. The command you used to deploy the application - for
instance, did you deploy with availabilityenabled=true and did you do so
while deploying of after deployment ? Did you specify asyncreplication=false?
If you used the admin console, let us know as well. 4. Are you setting
relaxVersionSemantics property for an app that uses Ajax like constructs? 5.
When do the session losses occur - every request, occassionally,
deterministically? 6. What is your session size ? Is it very large ? 2k, 10k,
200k, 200 mb.....? 7. How many instances do you have in your cluster ? Are
these on physical nodes or on virtual machines ? 8. What is the user request
traffic rate ? IOW, how many concurrent users do you use in your tests and at
what rate are sessions being changed? Are you failing any instances into your
test scenario? 9. Are you using an LB - let us know which one and if you are
using sticky sessions? Thanks Shreedhar On 10/26/11 8:01 AM, Braswell,
Stephen wrote: > My group has experienced similar issues. The HA replication
doesn't work like it does in our 2.1 environments. We spent some considerable
time trying to troubleshoot and resolve the problem with no luck. I even
tried some radical things like upgrading the shoal and grizzly JARs to later
versions but that didn't help. We opened a ticket with Oracle last month but
don't have a resolution yet. > > > -Stephen > > On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:18 PM,

--
[Message sent by forum member 'lprimak']