users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish kills business

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:38:38 -0500 (CDT)

[quote=seagate]

either 2 or more times a day or every 2 days the glassfish stops and requires
restart.

meanwhile many of our clients are very upset and they mentioned to cancel
their subscription.

or the Glassfish says something like heap memory out of space.

Please, I do not need answers like "Increase your memory!" I have already
assigned 2.8 GB for the heap

that should not only be enough, that's non-sense!

[/quote]

We've been using GlassFish in production since 2007.   Over the years we've
encountered about 10 issues that caused OOME crashes.  Some issues took
weeks or even months to diagnose, but in the end every single one of the
issues was the application's fault.   We use jVisualVM to capture live heap
dumps after GlassFish has been running for a while, then analyze it.   We
sort by total instances, or total memory usage, filter by package name (such
as our own company's packages or libraries we use, etc.) and use this as a
starting point.  We've encountered issues related to JPA caching, not
releasing reasourses, our application leaking threads, etc.    So, when we
encounter an OOME we start by assuming it is our application's issue before
blaming it on GlassFish.

[quote=seagate]

another highlight starting with Glassfish 3.1 is, that it is completely
impossible,

to delete Listeners or VirtualHosts or undeploying apps, even if they have
been disabled previously

or apps are detached from their virtual host.

All these tasks end up with a java runtime exception.

[/quote]

I agree GlassFish 3.1 was a very buggy release.  Quality went way down
compared to all previous releases.  I think 3.1 was also the first major
release after Oracle took over and lost some developers (had to replace with
new ones), and they were also integrating some major changes such as
clustering.  Hopefully you will find the hundreds of bug fixes in 3.1.1 make
it stable.

I've learned to be very cautious using the web admin console in production.
Sometimes it completely crashes the JVM, java.exe on Windows just
disappears.  What causes this?  Just clicking a tree node like
"applications" or "JCA Connection Pools" sometimes does it.   I hope
stability of the web admin console has improved in 3.1.1.

Ryan

--
[Message sent by forum member 'rdelaplante']