users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setting up updatecenter package for clean removal?

From: Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:49:01 -0400

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic <
snjezana.sevozenzerovic_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> Laird,
>
> FWIW, installing IPS controlled content under domains/domain1 directory is
> problematic approach since domains/domain1 files are generally handled as
> configuration data which is created on the fly and is not under IPS
> control. Uninstall behavior you are running into is pretty much the
> side-effect of it - if IPS installs file under
> glassfish/domains/domain1/applibs directory, it will assume that it owns all
> directories in the path even if they already existed and had independently
> created content.

(Side question: in that case, what on earth is the difference between dirsand
dirtrees?)

> Exception are files/directories referenced by some other IPS package which
> is not being uninstaller - for instance, the reason glassfish/domains is!
> spared is that it is defined as glassfish-nucleus IPS package content.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

The short version of this very very very long history is: everyone wants
Hibernate support in Glassfish that can come from the update center; no one
can agree on exactly where to put it. See this long thread for the history:
http://www.java.net/forum/topic/glassfish/glassfish/using-hibernate-glassfish
.

> I need to better understand the use case,

See thread reference above.

> but the ideal solution from IPS file layout standpoint would be to install
> Hibernate libraries into a directory outside of glassfish/domain/domain1,
> for instance, something like glassfish/hibernate/lib.

Fortunately, I think Sahoo's idea (see the thread I referenced earlier) is
still compatible with this. I'll move things around and see what I can come
up with. Thanks again.

Best,
Laird