users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Clustering in GlassFish v3.1 Open Source Application Server

From: Tom Mueller <tom.mueller_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:34:10 -0500

On 6/21/2011 4:43 PM, Мелещенко Игорь wrote:
> Hello!

> I have a question about clustering. I need to create the cluster with two remote nodes: the 1st is main computer where I install Apache Web Server and mod_jk for load balancing and the 2nd have only GlassFish AS. So, if I right understand, the request from client comes to the load balancer and then redirect to the 1st or to the 2nd node. If the 2nd node is crush - there is no problems, 1st will be in action. But what will happen if the 1st node crush. Is the 2nd node don't be able to work with client? If I right understand, how can I solve this problem?
Hi.

What happens depends on the type of crash. If just the GlassFish
instance on node 1 fails, then the Apache load balancer can continue to
send requests to the GlassFish instance on node 2. However, if the
operating system or the hardware on node 1 fails, e.g., a power failure,
then there isn't any way for requests to get to node 2 because the load
balancer is down.

The only way to fix this is with more hardware. Put the load balancer
on its own computer.

Tom