users@glassfish.java.net

Ever-increasing number of "Active" transactions in monitor?

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 05:19:37 -0500 (CDT)

 Hi

This is with Glassfish 3.1.

Our admins have noticed that when transaction monitoring is enabled

configs.config.server-config.monitoring-service.module-monitoring-levels.transaction-service=HIGH

then, when querying the transaction monitor

http://server:4848/monitoring/domain/server/transaction-service

under "activeids" we see a large, and growing, number of transactions marked
"NoTransaction". The admins report that this list appears to be growing over
time, and this concerns them.

Looking at the code that generates this output, which I believe is

com.sun.enterprise.transaction.monitoring.TransactionServiceStatsProvider.getActiveIds()
it in turn calls

JavaEETransactionManager.getActiveTransactions()
The only implementation I find of this method is in

com.sun.enterprise.transaction.JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.getActiveTransactions()
It looks like this class should be maintaining its Vector activeTransactions
(when monitoring is enabled) but it seems from a cursory look that
transactions should be removed from the Vector, and (possibly) are not.

What we would like to know is if we should worry about the *number* of
transactions growing, or if this is possibly a bug in the maintenance of this
list. In the last five minutes or so, while writing this posting, the list
grew from 8 to 13. Oops! 14.

Thanks!

Patrick

--
[Message sent by forum member 'pdoubleya']