users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ACC startup slowness due to virus scanner

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:16:14 PDT

Good tip!

And a good point about the expansion of the client JAR. That's why we redesigned the way client files are downloaded and used during launch for GlassFish 3. (I assume you are using GlassFish 2.x.)

In version 2 a single JAR is delivered, and it contains all the files - including other JARs - needed to launch the client. The ACC must expand this JAR into a temp directory before it can add the contained JARs to the class path for the client.

In version 3 GlassFish downloads multiple JARs into a directory structure (during a "deploy --retreive localdir" or "get-client-stubs" command, or the equivalent operation using the admin console). There are many reasons this is better, but one is improved performance. The ACC in GlassFish 3 does not need to expand anything before launching the client.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn']