users@glassfish.java.net

ACC startup slowness due to virus scanner

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:26:50 PDT

This is just a note to anyone who is wondering why their application starts slowly using the ACC. In my case a 2+ minute startup time was due to Norton Antivirus. With Norton disabled, the startup time went down to 15-30 seconds. For a 10MB client app jar being expanded into the temp directory, that is pretty good in my opinion. Another thing to know is that you might work around this by changing the java.io.tmpdir to some other directory than the default, then getting your support person to put in an exception for that directory in the virus scanner.

I do have a problem with process though. Why does the ACC feel the need to do that expansion every time the app is launched? Why can't the jar either not be unzipped and kept around or leave the unzipped files around for the next launch?
[Message sent by forum member 'culli']