users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Specify fixed JMX ports in GF3?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:42:07 PDT

Thx for the reploy but this does not do what we need :(

The JMX connector port I believe only specifies the port on which the RMI registry is published on. The actual JMX/RMI objects (correct term?) are then made available on a random port which can be looked up through the JMX connector port.

Unforunately this random port does not play so nice with firewalls, especially in our production environment which is completely locked down.

We need to specify a specific port(s) for all aspects of JMX, not just the lookup service.

To be honest I'm surprised this is such a difficult (or at least so undocumented?) thing to achieve in glassfish, it is a borderline deal breaker for using glassfish as we really need some kind of monitoring setup for our prod environment and JMX is clearly the right solution for this. The use of random ports just doesn't make sense to me but maybe there is a good reason for it? In any case it isn't acceptable in a hardcore locked down env.
[Message sent by forum member 'ratdump']