users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling JSP is slow on v3

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:46:46 PDT

I've done some experiment on the JSP compiler and got some interesting results.

Remember I mentioned that there are over 250 jars in the javac classpath? I looked at the list and noticed and most of them are not needed. I've modified the JSP compiler to only include about 8 jars (servlet and JSP apis, JSP implementation, JSTL and JSF jars etc) to javac, and rerun our recur2.jsp and bracket.tag test.

The numbers for the initial compilation are
G time for bracket.tag: 17
C time for bracket.tag: 703
G time for recur2.jsp: 908
C time for recur2.jsp: 87

The numbers for redeployment are 1, 104, 119, 76

There are big improvements over our original numbers, especially the C numbers:

Initial: 18, 1337, 1771, 171.
redeploy: 1, 159, 176, 161

They are also comparable to those in V2:

Initial: 15, 759, 895, 83, and
redeploy: 1, 86, 94, 75

I'll need figure a way to not to hardcode the specific jars in the classpath, and of course do more testing before releasing the compiler. So far it is very encouraging.
[Message sent by forum member 'kchung']