users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] jsf login page

From: Theodor Richard <theodor.richard_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:00:52 +0200

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM, <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:

> Hi Birol
>
> > I love the way how Java EE tries to ease the development process and
> saves
> > time and money. But so far, that's all in theory to me. In practice, you
> end
> > up spending a lot of time getting your app work in Glassfish. And that's
> > really time consuming, even for non complex applications.
>
> Yes, I have been though this cycle many times trying out 'new' things that
> are supposed to help in soon to be production applications. It wastes time,
> and you have to google over and over to get something working. After you
> deploy your app into production you realize you implemented it incorrectly
> or inconsistency.
>
> My advice ; Make architectural prototypes for your software.
> Example if you are making many CRUD type components in your application,
> make one example app with one or two CRUD's that interact with a live
> database. Once you have worked out the kinks and requested comments from
> other developers make it the standard for your application/s. Other
> developers on the project must conform to this method. If you find a flaw in
> the prototype, fix it in the prototype and propagate back into your
> application.
>
> Implementing a MVC .NET webpage with all of Microsoft's new patterns and
> LinQ also has similar problems trust me.
> Learning while you are coding it a bad idea and is risky.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm wondering whether this is because of
glassfish (what causes me headaches), since it's an open-source reference
implementation. I don't know whether GF has the same maturity for production
use like other open source projects. Once there's a commercial alternative
that supports JEE 6 (e.g. IBM WebSphere), I'll have a look at it, as well.

> Oh, by the way, this is not my idea.
> It's from the 'Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java EE Study Guide'.
> I really recommend it.
>
> And another tip from this book.
> Q : What is the difference between a senior developer and a Architect ?
> A : A senior developer worries about what happens when a button is clicked.
> An Architect wonders what will happen when a 1000 users click the button.

:) I ordered the book and will start reading it. Thanks!