users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] jsf login page

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:04:02 PDT

Hi Birol

> I love the way how Java EE tries to ease the development process and saves
> time and money. But so far, that's all in theory to me. In practice, you end
> up spending a lot of time getting your app work in Glassfish. And that's
> really time consuming, even for non complex applications.

Yes, I have been though this cycle many times trying out 'new' things that are supposed to help in soon to be production applications. It wastes time, and you have to google over and over to get something working. After you deploy your app into production you realize you implemented it incorrectly or inconsistency.

My advice ; Make architectural prototypes for your software.
Example if you are making many CRUD type components in your application, make one example app with one or two CRUD's that interact with a live database. Once you have worked out the kinks and requested comments from other developers make it the standard for your application/s. Other developers on the project must conform to this method. If you find a flaw in the prototype, fix it in the prototype and propagate back into your application.

Implementing a MVC .NET webpage with all of Microsoft's new patterns and LinQ also has similar problems trust me.
Learning while you are coding it a bad idea and is risky.

Oh, by the way, this is not my idea.
It's from the 'Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java EE Study Guide'. I really recommend it.

And another tip from this book.
Q : What is the difference between a senior developer and a Architect ?
A : A senior developer worries about what happens when a button is clicked. An Architect wonders what will happen when a 1000 users click the button.

regards
Richard.
[Message sent by forum member 'rjdkolb']