users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JAAS / OpenSSO / ?

From: Barry van Someren <barry_at_bvansomeren.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:28:58 +0100

Hi,

I currently run a few deployments of a JEE 5 webapplication which uses
OpenSSO and my take is that OpenSSO can be simple if you stick with
the basics. For web applications it will preserve your login across
different servers and even domains (as it says on the tin) and I'm
very sure it will do the same for webservices, but don't have
firsthand experience (yet)

OpenSSO will also work across different servers, you just install an
agent per server within the same (OpenSSO)realm and the same
credentials and policies will be used across the realm. You can even
use it on Apache, Sun Webserver.
A custom realm can also work (for example if the client does not keep
state and sends their credentials with every request) but you have to
ensure you have the same kind of custom realm installed everywhere.
JAAS can possibly help with this, being a standard and all ;-)

Regards,

Barry