users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Try to run updatetool on Windows 7 without any sucess

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:36:44 -0500

the server.log is configured by $GF_HOME/domains/domain1/config.xml virtual-server description

<virtual-server hosts="${com.sun.aas.hostName}" http-listeners="http-listener-1,http-listener-2" id="server" log-file="${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/logs/server.log" state="on">

in the same config.xml there is a log service which is configured in the same file which looks like

      <log-service alarms="false" file="${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/logs/server.log" log-rotation-limit-in-bytes="2000000" log-rotation-timelimit-in-minutes="0" log-to-console="false" retain-error-statistics-for-hours="5" use-system-logging="false">
        <module-log-levels admin="INFO" classloader="INFO" cmp="INFO" cmp-container="INFO" configuration="INFO" connector="INFO" corba="INFO" deployment="INFO" ejb-container="INFO" group-management-service="INFO" javamail="INFO" jaxr="INFO" jaxrpc="INFO" jdo="INFO" jms="INFO" jta="INFO" jts="INFO" management-event="INFO" mdb-container="INFO" naming="INFO" node-agent="INFO" resource-adapter="INFO" root="INFO" saaj="INFO" security="INFO" self-management="INFO" server="INFO" synchronization="INFO" util="INFO" verifier="INFO" web-container="INFO"/>
      </log-service>

if these dont log for you i would download and install cygwin on your box

then redirect stderr to server.log e.g.

login as user root which has read/write/execute and delete access to all folders

cygwin>asadmin start-appserv 2>server.log

--or for redirecting stdout

cygwin>asadmin start-appserv 1>server.log

HTH
Martin Gainty