users@glassfish.java.net

Re: why won't this webapp deploy?

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:49:09 -0800

On 02/16/10 02:09 PM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> I'm getting the same error (see below) when I "redeploy" a stand-alone web module (or an enterprise app with that web module). However, for this error to happen, my sun-web.xml has to include this line: <session-manager persistence-type="file">. If persistence-type is "memory", then I can redeploy almost OK. "Almost", because states of http sessions are not preserved/restored when I want that. I know that my app is built correctly, because when I use persistence-type="file" in sun-web.xml, the sessions are preserved and restored OK when the server is restarted.

By default, any HTTP sessions are preserved during server restarts.
You do not have to provide any special configuration (in sun-web.xml)
for this.
See my blog at
http://blogs.sun.com/jluehe/entry/how_to_disable_persisting_of
for how to disable this default behaviour.

On the other hand, by default, any sessions of an application will be
destroyed
during the application's undeployment or redeployment. See my blog at
http://blogs.sun.com/jluehe/entry/retain_session_data_during_redeployment
to learn how HTTP sessions may be preserved during a redeployment.

Hope this helps.

Jan