users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JCA question: network boundaries?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 04:47:50 PST

> A standalone client or AppClient will have its own
> runtime and pooling infrastructure as well. Client's
> runtime will communicate with the server to get
> necessary configuration to setup the runtime and
> pooling infrastructure to serve the client's requests.

That suggests that if I were to look up a DataSource (implemented over JCA) and from it obtain a Connection, that that connection would be between my application client and the database directly. That is, if I traced the network traffic, my AppClient would be connected to the database. But usually I see that the database is contacted by the app [i]server[/i], even in an AppClient scenario. This leads me to believe that something else is going on.

[Message sent by forum member 'ljnelson' (ljnelson_at_gmail.com)]