users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Using log4j in GlassFish cluster

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 05:41:07 PST

Yes, we did it and also put log4j.properties in the ${com.sun.aas.installRoot}/lib/classes in both the main domain server and all node instances. However, we were not sure which system classpath needs to be modified by adding ${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/lib/log4j.jar and ${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/lib/classes, as described in the FAQ. There are 3 different sets of JVM settings in the admin console: default-config, server-config and your-cluster-config. After several experiments we've found-out that the system classpath changes should be done at the level of cluster-config JVM settings.
After adding log4j.properties to ${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/lib/classes in each node instance, adding the above mentioned 2 lines to the system classpath in our cluster-config JVM settings and restarting the cluster, the log4j started working as expected.
BTW, adding log4j.jar as well as any other shared lib to the node instance ${com.sun.aas.instanceRoot}/lib required restarting the whole domain with nodeagents, otherwise the jar(s) were not loaded.

Thanks,
-- Lev
[Message sent by forum member 'levko' (lev.kozakov_at_yahoo.com)]