users@glassfish.java.net

Cluster x Standalone

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 04:10:39 PST

Hi all.
What is the difference between 2 cluster nodes and 2 standalone nodes ?
I have the follow configuration:
- DAS
--- cluster instance 1
--- server stand alone
- Machine 2
--- cluster instance 2
--- server stand alone 2

Using the cluster approach, the 2 cluster instances must have the same configuration (jvm settings, etc).
Using the '2 stand alone' approach, the 2 servers can have different configuration, allowing 32bit and 64bit machines. This allow the use of legacy servers.

In the top of 2 approaches, I must have a Load Balancer, right ?

I wonder that the cluster option will give me fault tolerance. But in the servers option, the load balancer will not pass requests to a innoperative server, ok ?

Please, give some light !! ;)
[Message sent by forum member 'marcosviniciusbsouza' (marvin.souza_at_gmail.com)]