users@glassfish.java.net

Re: new asadmin command for documentation

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:56:22 -0800

Justin Lee wrote:
> In the v3 cycle, both tim quinn and I were playing with ways to generate
> the schema documentation for v3 that we lost after opting for working
> without the dtd that v2 had. My version (which borrowed ideas from
> tim's) is implemented as an admin command as opposed to tim's external
> tool. I'd like to include this command in the v3 tree. The project
> site is http://kenai.com/projects/schema-doc if you want to take a
> look. I'm attaching a sample of the output. Right now the command is
> called "create-documenation" but I'm certainly open to name changes. As
> of now, the only output is html but I've tried to make adding new output
> formats relatively easy and certainly a dtd/xsd option is needed.
>
> Also attached is the jar. You can drop it in your modules dir and
> restart to test it. The command is run like this:
>
> asadmin create-documentation
>
> There are a handful of options to play with though nothing significant
> just yet. There are some interesting changes to be considered (as
> suggested by Bill Shannon) such as making the HTML output generated
> for/by the admin gui or at least outputting the content where the admin
> gui can display it. (Right now it generates in the config dir next to
> domain.xml.) Anyway, we can hash all that out some other time. Please
> take a moment to look it over and see if there's anything that'd make it
> a bad fit. Thanks.

+1. Good feature!
 From what I understand, the generated schema is a reflection of
@Configured interfaces (available in the modules) at the time of command
execution. If that's right, is it reasonable to have a "vanilla"
schema bundled with GlassFish build? (For one, this will make it
analogous to v2 where the schema used to be available in
install/lib/dtds/sun-domain_x_y.dtd).

-Kedar