users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why is GlassFish v3 updater written in Python?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:28:15 PST

Same here, in my case while running the manually started GUI - the updater kicked in in the systray, I clicked on it to see what was it and I ended up having 2 different updaters: one downloading updates, the other saying there are updates, I was puzzled.
I mean the updater app seems just like several loose scripts working independently without any glue or knowledge of each other, without doing obvious checks, without using threads when needed, not to mention the additional issues that Python comes with (need to have version 2.4, the 32bit binary on a 64bit OS issue, (wacky) Python+wxWidgets installation, etc) which at least for a newcomer begs the question: "is the whole GlassFish server written this way? If so maybe I should look around for a more robust and wisely written server" you know..
One could say it's not an issue since one doesn't use the updater every hour but this would be just an excuse, not a reason to keep such implementation.
[Message sent by forum member 'r45d15' ]