users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why is GlassFish v3 updater written in Python?

From: Mark Mielke <mark_at_mark.mielke.cc>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:47:33 -0500

On 11/12/2009 08:08 PM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Cons:
> 1) The user must have version 2.4 of Python installed otherwise the updater just does nothing on double-click and the user has to figure out that he must start the updater from terminal and install Python 2.4 from there. After that, the updater will work (to a degree as explained below).
> I'm really sorry and don't mean insulting any developers who worked on this but it really looks like a decision of a freelancer who happens to not know Swing (and that Java already comes with Swing and that the current Swing implementation isn't that of like 5-7 years ago when it was really slow and lacked enough features)

Con related to the above:

It seems to embed a 32-bit binary of some sort (Python itself?), and it
fails to launch on a 64-bit platform unless one happens to have all the
various 32-bit run-time libraries that it expects - X, WX, etc...

I just hit this today.

On the "Pro" side, though, I thought it was really cute that my 32-bit
desktop that has Glassfish installed only to access the Java EE
libraries automatically brought up an icon pointing out that there were
"37 update available", and a few clicks later I was done.

On the confused side - it seemed like the GUI of the manually launched
update tool was very different from the GUI of the popup. They almost
seemed like different applications? The popup was the cuter and simpler
of the two...

Cheers,
mark

--