users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why is GlassFish v3 updater written in Python?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:16:50 PST

Whoops, forgot to address this observation:

> On the confused side - it seemed like the GUI of the
> manually launched
> update tool was very different from the GUI of the
> popup. They almost
> seemed like different applications? The popup was the
> cuter and simpler
> of the two...

The two GUIs are intentionally designed to be be different. The "Software Update" GUI is modeled after desktop updater apps. It's goal is to effect notification and installation of updates with as little pain as possible. Much like the updaters that are built into desktop OS' and into many layered applications.

The "Update Tool" GUI is intended to be used when more sophisticated installation management is required. Removing components, applying add-ons, selectively installing earlier versions of components, working with multiple app installs at the same time, etc. are all built into this GUI. Adding these functions to the SW Update GUI would make it unnecessarily complex.

Think Update Manager (simple, updates only) and Synaptic (more complex, more powerful) on some Linux distrso.

Given the explanation provided above, it would be helpful to get your feedback on how we could help minimize or avoid the confusion. For example: Perhaps the "Update Tool" GUI should be named "App Manager" or similar to avoid the connotation that it's role is limited to updating. If you have naming suggestions, let's hear them.

If you don't think there's much utility offered by the Update Tool GUI, that's useful input as well.

Thanks,
Chris
[Message sent by forum member 'ckamps' ]