users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why is GlassFish v3 updater written in Python?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:25:51 PST

Hi r45d15,

   Lead dev of the main GUI here. Please see my responses below

> 2) The updater seems to not use threads, I'm really
> disappointed - while the updater downloads the
> updates the GUI freezes, now that's really lame for a
> 21 century app, not to mention the gross (warning)
> fonts and other obvious GUI inconsistencies.

We can use some information from you here. Are you talking
about the main full app (GUI)? Apple updates like popup
(SW updater) or the Updates notifier? Which stage do you
see the freeze up at? Which platform? What remote publisher
were you accessing?

If it is the main GUI, there is a stage where a download of pkg
catalog happens in the background. That despite it happening
in a separate thread is network and disk IO intensive enough
to appear to cause a temporary freeze. So the threading, which
is indeed present, there doesn't really help. That operation is
presently out of the GUI's control but is being improved by a
new implementation at the IPS pkg layer that we depend on.

Thanks
Manpreet Singh
[Message sent by forum member 'mnsingh' ]