users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish Prelude, Preview, download _at_ sun / glassfish?!?

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:40:21 +0200

On Jul 23, 2009, at 13:53, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am starting to get involved into this community and GlassFish but
> somehow it is pretty confusing.
>
> As I understand there is the fullblown SDK profile and thinner web
> profile. Correct?

The web profile is a subset of the entire Java EE distribution. Think
of it as your starting point (a specific set of features).
You can use the updatecenter to rightsize your install (upgrade to
full Java EE or downgrade to less packages).

Hopefully this answers the question: http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/which_glassfish_version_is_right

> There are also several download pages:
> http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/preview/

This is the Java EE SDK (yes, it includes GlassFish)

> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v3-preview.html

Fairly stable version from last JavaOne (May 2009)

> http://download.java.net/glassfish/v3/promoted/

These are promoted builds (more recent, less tested than "preview")

cheers,
-Alexis